Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Being away from my Children

  As the mother of four Children, I have NEVER been far away from my Kids. Oh sure, I took about 3 different trips with my X without the Kids, but for the most part of the 22 years, I have not spent anytime away from them. Unit now.
  Living only a little over an hour away from my 3 boys and a half hour away from my daughter now, has been the hardest thing I have ever done!
   I moved out of the small town I had grown up in and raised my kids in because I desperately needed a change in my life that I knew would never happen if I stayed!
  I do not get to see the kids much now. Occasional visits if I drive down, or my youngest comes up here to stay for a few days. It is tough!
  Because they are older, it is a choice we all made as to where they stayed. My youngest is 15. He loves his High School, and his friends, and so he couldn't part with them. My second youngest has just turned 18 and is hoping to move out of his Fathers house to live on his own soon. My oldest son is 22, and works with his father. As for my 20 year old daughter, she moved this way just before I did, to live on her own in the big city of Portland.
  So Mom is on her own now.
I made the choice to move away for several reasons. One, knowing my X, I would never actually be on my own. Control and little "Dramas" are a way of life for him. Two, having closed my store, I felt a loss that would only deepen each time I passed the old place. And three, I had met some great new friends up here. I had never had the pleasure of having friends while I was married, and I wasn't about to stop. And most of all, four...I had reunited with a old Boyfriend I had 27 years ago. Our friendship grew with each time we spoke. I have never been happier, nor have I ever felt so much love and compassion from someone as I do from him. I needed that.
 My Children are happy for me. They see how happy I am. They understand. Amazingly to me, when I announced my intentions to divorce their Dad, they never seemed surprised. I thought I had done a good job keeping my emotions to myself, for the sake of my family. I guess not.
  This Christmas will be the first time all four Kids come up to visit me. The first for my oldest. I can't be any happier!
Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment